Thursday, January 1, 2009

Feels like so long ago

Solstice on the flow seems like another lifetime ago - a time warp away from New Year's day, ice skating on a pond when the temperature was 8 degrees before the wind gusts came from every direction to blow across the ice. I wore my mother's skates, that are likely as least as old as I am. They are like stained, supple gloves. I am not smooth on the ice, or as flexible as my skates, except perhaps my ankles, which bend as they always have, and never should. But I love the crispness that burns my cheeks red like apples hanging on a tree branch against the white snow. I like to glide with one foot lifted off the ice, and to sail with the wind.

1 comment:

ken carl said...

I was thinking today about how select events define our life. We use them as milestones, bench marks, and life affirming. From the Solstice on the flow we have become more of who want to be and who we are meant to be.